List of all Matomo features
Scroll down to see every feature Matomo has to offer.
It can be hard to keep track of all the features that Matomo (formerly Piwik) has to offer. To find out if Matomo is the right web analytics tool for you, check out this ever-expanding list of features.
Web Analytics Features
All standard statistics reports: top keywords and search engines, websites, social media websites, top page URLs, page titles, user countries, providers, operating system, browser marketshare, screen resolution, desktop VS mobile, engagement (time on site, pages per visit, repeated visits), top campaigns, custom variables, top entry/exit pages, downloaded files, and many more, classified into four main analytics report categories – Visitors, Actions, Referrers, Goals/Ecommerce (30+ reports). See Tour of Matomo.
- Real time data updatesWatch real time flow of visits to your website. Get a detailed view of your visitors, pages they have visited and goals they have triggered.
- Customisable dashboardCreate new dashboards with widget configuration fit to your needs.
- All websites dashboardThe best way to get an overview of what is happening on all your websites at once.
- Row EvolutionCurrent and past metric data for any row in any report.
- Analytics for EcommerceUnderstand and improve your online business thanks to advanced Ecommerce analytics features.
- Goal Conversion TrackingTrack goals and identify whether you are meeting your current business objectives. Goals can be triggered when specific page URLs or page titles are viewed, when visitors stay for a certain amount of time on the website, or when custom events/file downloads/outlinks are clicked.
- Event TrackingMeasure any interaction of users on your websites and apps.
- Content TrackingMeasure impressions and clicks and CTR for image banners, text banners and any element on your pages.
- Site Search AnalyticsTrack searches done on your internal search engine.
- Custom DimensionsAssign any custom data to your visitors or actions (like pages, events, …) and then visualise the reports of how many visits, conversions, page views, etc. there were for each custom dimension.
- GeolocationLocate your visitors for accurate detection of country, region, city or organisation. View the visitors statistics on a world map by country, region or city. View your latest visitors in real time.
- User Segmentation View and analyse reports on smaller groups of your audience, based on specific criteria like their country or whether they bought something (choose amongst more than 110 segments available and combine them with AND and OR operators to create your custom segments).
- Pages TransitionsView what visitors did before and after viewing specific pages.
- Page OverlayDisplay statistics directly on top of your website with our smart overlay.
- Site speed and page speed reportsKeeps track of how fast your website delivers content to your visitors.
- Page performance reportsReports detailed performance metrics for each page view.
- Track different user interactionsAutomatic tracking of file downloads, clicks on external website links, optional tracking of 404 pages
- Analytics Campaign TrackingTrack your Newsletters, any ads (Google Ads, Facebook Ads, and custom ads), automatically detects Google Analytics campaign parameters in your URLs, and more.
- Track traffic from search enginesMore than 800 different search engines tracked!
- Accurately measure the time spent by visitors on your website (provides a more accurate bounce rate metric).
- Scheduled email reports (PDF and HTML reports)Embed reports in your app or website (40+ widgets available) or embed PNG Graphs in any custom page, email, or app.
- AnnotationsCreate text notes in your graphs to remember particular events.
- With Custom Alerts you can monitor your business and receive alerts on your phone or by email when any of your Key Performance Indicators increase or decrease.
- Visits LogBrowse individual user sessions and see all their interactions on your site.
- Visitor Profile helps you understand each visitor’s individual behaviour by summarising and listing all their visits.
- No data limitYou can keep all your data, without any storage limits, forever!See our limits analytics data fact sheet.
- Heatmap Analytics: Heatmaps, Scroll maps and Clicks of your users displayed in beautiful overlay Heatmap reports.
- Session Recording: record all real visitor activities on a page, such as, clicks, mouse movements, scrolls, window resizes, page changes, and form interactions. You can then replay these interactions in a video to see exactly how a visitor interacted with your website.
- A/B Testing Platform: experiment and optimise your websites, apps and marketing campaigns by running A/B tests running increase your conversions.
- Custom Reports: pull out the information you need in order to be successful and gain new insights. Save heaps of time, money, and reduce the risk of human error by creating new reports in seconds.
- Form Analytics: make your forms better at converting your users! See where and when visitors leave your forms.
- Media Analytics: powerful insights into how your audience watches your videos and listens to your audio (website).
- Visualise your Conversion Funnels and understand where your visitors drop off to increase your conversions, sales and revenue with your existing traffic.
- User Flow is an awesome visual representation of the most popular paths your users took through your website or app. Get more insights by analysing those paths and where along the path they exited your site.
- Detailed Search Engine Keywords Performance: all keywords searched by your users on search engines like Google, Bing and Yahoo are now visible in your Referrers reports! The ultimate solution to ‘keyword not defined’ and ‘keyword not provided’.
- Multi Channel Conversion Attribution: get a clear understanding of how much credit each marketing channel (referrer) is actually responsible for in order to shift your marketing efforts wisely.
- Paid Advertising Performance: Youcan now analyse the success of your Google Ads campaigns directly inyour Matomo. Invest confidently in the right keywords and target theright customers for higher ROI.
- Roll-Up Reporting lets you aggregate data from multiple websites, mobile apps and shops into one (or more) Roll-Up site to gain new insights and save time.
- User Cohorts lets you view and compare different cohorts’ behavior over time to understand how well you retain and engage your visitors.
- Login SAML plugin lets your users log into Matomo using SAML. Compatible with any SSO Identity Provider such as OneLogin, Okta, Ping Identity, ADFS, Google, Salesforce.
- Detailed Audit log of user activities happening in your analytics platform for better security and problem diagnostic.
- White Label plugin lets you resell Matomo to your customers and gives them access to their analytics reports where all Matomo-branded widgets are removed.
- Manage unlimited users
- Set user access to multiple websites
- Manage unlimited websites
- Exclude IPs and IP ranges
- Exclude URL parameters
- Timezone support, for each website
- Supports 100+ currencies
- Powerful options for White Label Matomo are available, ideal for large agencies or when you need a clean, branded Matomo interface
- Upload your custom logo for UI and email reports
- Automatically delete old logs and old data reports to keep you database size small
- Integrate with several SSO solutions such as LDAP or SAML to let your users login Matomo using your existing users directory.
- Integrates with more than 100 CMS, web frameworks or Ecommerce shops
- SQL data access lets you run your own SQL queries on your database, and even connect BI tools and data warehouse via SQL connector.
- Import your historic Google Analytics data directly into your Matomo
- Official Matomo Mobile app for Android and iOs smartphones
- Free community support forums
- Paid support plans
- 50+ languages available
- 100% FREE Software (open-source, GPL license), yet compatible with commercial uses
- App Analytics with the Matomo iOS SDK, the Android SDK and the Titanium Module.
- Asynchronous code for faster page loads
- Track and record any data using the REST Tracking API, via the PHP Tracking API Client or the Java Tracking API client, C# DotNet Tracker
- Track custom page URLs and page titles
- Track subdomains
- User ID lets you accurately measure your unique users across multiple devices.
- Cross domain linking for accurate visitor tracking across several domain names.
- Supports both 1st party cookies (default) and 3rd party cookie (optional)
- Import your Apache, Nginx, IIS server logs for processing in Matomo!
- Track detailed page speed and performance times for each page view
- Track single-page websites and web applications
- Supports pages encoded in unicode (for example, UTF-8) but also supports all other charsets
- Supports offline tracking for when users aren’t connected to the Internet
Data Export and APIs
- Data export in Excel, XML, Json and more!
- Fully-featured analytics API to extract all your data (visitor level, action level, reports, and more)
- Administration API (REST) to create/update/delete pragmatically: users API, websites API, goals API, etc.
- Segmentation support in the API
Log Analytics: Import and Analyse your Server Logs
- Reprocess historical data from your server logfiles
- Report server errors and other http status codes
- Track and identify search engine and other bots
- Supports many log files and easily add your own custom log formats
- Compatible with Windows, MacOs, Linux, Solaris, IIS, Apache, Nginx, and more
- Long Term Supported: Matomo is the analytics platform for your mission critical projects
- 5-minute installation
- Other one-click installation options: Softaculous, Installatron, and our official Matomo Debian package.
- Easy one-click update
- Strong focus on software security and an excellent track record
- Strong focus on software quality assurance and testing
- Compatible with high traffic websites
- Supports servers behind proxies, works in a load balanced architecture, and supports IPv4 and IPv6 addresses
- Works for Intranet websites
- Search Bots Crawl Overview reports
- Customer Data Platform and Data Management Platform
- Keep your data private on your server
- Privacy compliant web analytics including powerful GDPR tools for exercising data subjects rights: data subject request, data deletion, etc.
- Setting to anonymise your visitors’ IPs, and the option to not store any IP address at all
- Iframe included to let your visitor opt-out of Matomo tracking
- DoNotTrack support by default
- Option for cookie-less analytics and disable all cookies
- Option to enforce the disabling of all cookies on all websites tracked in Matomo
- Option to disable the visits log and visitor profile features
- Asking for consent
- Use 1st party cookies by default, with an option to enable third party cookies
- Replace User ID with a pseudonym
- Ability to anonymise the referrer to avoid tracking personal data by accident
- Open Marketplace with more than 100 plugins: Enhance your Matomo analytics with valuable additional features.
- Themes for Matomo: Feel like a change of colours? Try our community submitted themes, or create your own!
- Plugins for CMS: WordPress, Drupal, Joomla, and more than 100 other softwares! With one of our Matomo Integration plugins.
- Libraries for programming languages: Python, Ruby, and more!
Matomo is an award-winning platform used by more than 1 million websites worldwide. We regularly release new versions.
Help and Support
With Matomo you are never alone or lost. We offer several powerful resources:
- User guides: discover all features of Matomo and learn how to use them.
- Glossary: all commonly used terms in Matomo Analytics.
- FAQs: most frequently asked questions and answers.
- Matomo Analytics training video program
- Matomo Tag Manager training video program
- Developer Zone: Code, design and innovate with the Matomo Analytics platform.
- Matomo community forums: free support by the community.
- Support Plans: paid support for small to large businesses users of Matomo Analytics who need to leverage the full power of the Matomo platform. (Support by the creators of Matomo)
Our Roadmap is public and driven by the large community of users.